Sunday, February 8, 2009

Doing what you ♥

I was watching the University of Alabama vs. Georgia gymnastics competition on ESPN2 today and I had a huge realization. It was about following your dreams and doing what you really love.

I have very few regrets in my life but one of my biggest was quitting gymnastics. I was a gymnast for 9 years and it was one thing that I was truly passionate about. I absolutely loved hurling myself through the air- it felt like I was flying. The power and strength that I could control were amazing. I quit gymnastics when I was in 7th grade because of school becoming increasingly difficult and also because of some "girlie issues" that happen around that age that I was embarassed by.

Now, about 8 years later, I wish more than anything that I'd stuck with it. If I could have three wishes, that would be number one on my list. I feel this ache in my heart whenever I watch those graceful, powerful girls doing what I loved so much. Had a not quit when I did, that could have been ME out there...

I've only found one other thing in my life that I love as much as I loved gymnastics and that is jewelry making. I take so much pride in it and I get that "ache"when I think about not pursuing it. That's why I decided to abandon my plans of becoming a clinical psychologist to reach my dream of having a jewelry/bead supply store. I know that it will be much harder work and that the monitary gain will be much less but it's what I DREAM about doing. The personal rewards will be so much greater than "settling" for a job, which is what I was doing with psychology.

I gave up one dream many years ago and I still regret it- I'm not going to let that happen again! ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment