Monday, July 13, 2009

Photography Tips

Hello all! I am so not doing a good job of keeping up with the blog as promised so I thought I'd do a quicky today about photographing jewelry (or other small things).

If you're anything like me, you HATE taking pictures. I don't get things listed on Etsy because I hate to take the time to photograph them. It can be such a hassle and so time consuming, sometimes I feel like it isn't worth it.

Aside from getting a super awesome camera like a Canon Rebel xs or something similar (I got so fed up with my old camera that I splurged and got this baby as a happy-birthday-to-myself gift!), you need to know how to take a good photo with what you've got. I always tried to make them artistic like other Etsy users I see. I tried to add flowers or drape the jewelry across cut glass, etc and it never worked. I tried a light tent, which worked pretty well, but now I'm just using 4 sheets of white printer paper and two desk lamps.



As you can see, I taped two pieces of paper to the monitor and layed two pieces (stacked on top of one another) on the desk. I positioned the desk lamps so that light comes from both sides and doesn't create shadows. The white background also doesn't distract the potential customer, either. Play with your camera and the settings to see what works best for you. I use an extra flash and the high-detail setting on my camera to get the best results.

Need more tips? I have a tutorial for sale at my shop that you might be interested in.

Thanks for looking and I hope you learned something! ♥

Check out these before and after shots. (Twilight Inspired Apple Earrings)

No comments:

Post a Comment